Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Individual Seconds that Make all the Difference

Although I still question the wisdom of spending another year of my life in Japan, there are definitely moments that make it worthwhile.
I wanted to say "for example, sitting outside a combini between the can bin and the PET bottle bin, drinking combini chu-hai at 8 on a Friday morning, looking like crap but not caring, no idea where your hotel is, watching the school kids walking past in their mini skirts and bags weighed down by stuffed animal kyarakutaasu (read: characters) and sniggering at everything like an idiot cause you haven't slept in two days."

But that's not what this post is about.

I'm doing this koukan nikki a.k.a. diary exchange with some students at my one school, and ALL ichi- and ni-nenseis at my other school. This means that there are now roundabout 25 diaries that I have to write original replies to, think of a reply to "I like green", and draw pictures in. I love it but.. well, I made work for myself.

So, quoting from Misa (the soupy girl)'s diary.. we're in a slo-mo convo about candy.

Hi Maliru!
I maked cookie, chocolate cake and namachoco last weekend.
Cookie umakudekita. (note: I think it means "I'm good at making it"... Nihongophiles confirm?)
chocolate cake... appearance... soso. surface burnt.
But teist is good.
Namachoco is simply rcipe.

And.. then she writes me the recipe for Namachoco (unbaked chocolate)! I'm almost clapping my hands in delight. Takes very little to make my day, these days.

Then, Megu writes:

Because I have not been to a foreign country, I am envious of you. (My selling point for English at this stage is "If you can't speak it, you cannot go outside Japan". It seems to work for some kids)
The country which I want to go is Germany now. The reason is because it studies a dog.
In addition, I want to eat a delicious dish in... Europe. Delicious chocolate wants to eat in France in particular.

Man, I adore this class. I could swoop them up and hug em, but.. I don't.

Then, last week I asked Nana, the 13-year old with the biggest dimples this side of the equator:
In Japan, where is the most beautiful place?
Her answer? It is... sky!

Can't wait for next week's installment...

1 comment:

partieweirdo said...

Eks bly jy love jou job:)