Saturday, December 23, 2006

Almost in transit

Tomorrow I say goodbye to Bangkok, to Koh San road which I know I'm misspelling, goodbye to Jen and Dimple, and goodbye to paying things in Baht. I'll be exchanging my currency into Dollars of the Singaporean kind, and take the longest busride of my life through Malaysia to Singapore. Almost two days on the road. Even though I'm dreading the sleeping on the bus bit, I'm really keen on going for a plethora of reasons.

Today's impressions:
Stalls with everything my material heart desires. A man on a motorcycle wearing goggles, with a black dog in front of him, wearing goggles. A woman carrying as cage filled with tiny rabbits. A very old blind, toothless woman singing over a microphone while being led by the hand by a guy. Ping-pong.. and all the rest. Made friends with the guy who sells the bags down that other road, and he took us around Patpong. I've wanted to visit this seedy side of this seedy city every since reading about Patpong repeatedly in Tom Robbins novels. Tuk-tuks and people from all over. Sat for over 3 hours getting my hair dreaded while watching a kaldeidoscope of people walk by. Food. Oh, the food.. Always hungry. Fantasy world. Freshly squeezed juice from tiny oranges. Ran into a South African girl I met on Sado Island way back when. You can't get away from the small world syndrome. Absolute randomness.

I've seen so much that I wished desperately I would remember, but it's impossible. I changed within two days of being here. No, actually when I walked out of the airport, I knew I would not be the same after this holiday. And the Thai alphabet is definitely my favourite thus far.

It's 3.51AM, and tomorrow we want to go see the Grand Palace, on which the temple in Bronkhorstspruit is based. So off to bed.

m.

1 comment:

Cacophony said...

ek lees die afgelope tyd 'n boek oor tailand. het vandag op die strand van bangkok gelees en nou is jy daar.

ek wens ek was by jou. wens ek kon sien wat jy sien. ek het in september laas met jou gepraat. het vir jou 'n sms gestuur en eers daarna agter gekom dat jy dit nie sou kry nie, want dit is jou sa number.

dude, ek mis jou meer as wat ek nog ooit iemand gemis het :( gaan more na 'n game reserve toe hier naby en dan vrydag vir kerry in durban kry. die 30ste is dit rustlers toe vir nuwe jaar.

dude. merry xmas. was vir die 3de jaar in 'n ry op kersfees in die kerk. ha ha. boring, mundane, so nie waarin ek glo nie, en tog is daar iets aan die boodskap...

die muskiete eet my op. dis vokken warm en het vandag heerlik heerlik in die see geswem.

dude. jy moet 'n bevokte nuwe jaar he whereever jy gaan wees. dink aan my hier in die verte want ek gaan verseker aan jou dink wanneer ek my voete in die stof stamp. ek sal jou verseker volgende jaar sien al moet ek my linker bal verkoop :)

laat my weet wanneer is die beste tyd om te kom en wat jy wil doen, dan kyk ek wat ek kan reel. se vir harry ek se whatsup en hy moet ook 'n lekker nuwe jaar he en hy moet vir jou 'n drukkie van my af gee.

lief jou baie.
mwah