Friday, December 22, 2006

Thailand, baby.

A short report from the ghettos of Koh San road. Spelling is for the birds. I keep thanking people in Japanese, and I don't understand the English.

Bangkok is a big, bubbling pot of colours, smells and people. With the King's face plastered on roads all over and food from heaven and crazy tukl-tuk drivers popping wheelies to our delight. Night markets and muay thai boxing with beer from plastic cups. My travels have been booked, and with it rooms in Koh Tao and Koh Phagnan. Seeing Hernes in 3 days time in Singapore. Would love to stop i Kuala Lum,pur, because I saw a picture of it, and it looks beautiful.

Through the amazement, Bangkok has a sadness under the surface. The people struggle, the roads are dirty, dogs covered in ticks sleep in forgotten corners. But I love it. It reminds me of Africa. The people are real. Their shoes are worn out and scuffed. In Japan, everyone's shoes look like they just took it from the box. It probably smells like store. I love the realness of Bangkok. I love feeling the sun on my face. I love it that people look me in the eyes and smile. Such a contrast from that other Island I now call my home.

Still on the to-do list; floating markets on the river, seedy sex shows in Patpong, superficial faith at the grand palace, a bus tour through Malaysia, a new city, a scuba course.

Gotta go.

xxx

No comments: