Monday, January 22, 2007

And now for something completely different

I'm typing this at home, my fingers covered in chocolate cake that I was planning to take to school, but I wasuremashita'ed it in my kitchen. Now, all for me.
After having owned this useless laptop for 4 months, I finally hooked it up to someone else's internet and made it useful. This means that, for the first time since August 06, I've been able to access all the music I burned into some obscure format back in SA. Currently, I'm listening to the deep, smooth voice of Laurika Rauch. Ek dink ek het hierdie cd nog van Eric af gebum een aand in Witbank. As jy die lees, thanks dude, dit beteken waar ek nou is vir my soveel. En so ook Koos Kombuis. Lisa se klavier was nog nooit so mooi nie.

I'd just like to quote the following, because it's so damn beautiful. A song about a girl in Cape Town that plays the piano so beautifully that people just stop in the streets at night to listen to the sounds floating down from her window:

haar vingers ken die pad
opgesluit in wit en swart
die klavier se grootste vreugde, hartseer en verlange
verstaan die hart se diepste smart

(her fingers know the way
locked up in black and white
the piano's greatest joy, sadness and longing
understands the deepest pain of the heart)


(not that much lost in translation)

No comments: