Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What's In A Name?

In South Africa, my name was Marilu Snyders.

I miss that name. I miss the roll of the r, the normality of the spelling, and the pitch in the right places (never figured out how you're actually supposed to pronounce it though.)

In English conversation, my name is Marylou Snaiders.

In Japan, they just raped it into a complete different alphabet. You got an 'l' in your name? Hey, we don't do l's... no more for you!

In Japan, I am Mariru Sunaideesu.

The bizarre bit is that, within my first week here, I started introducing myself as Mariru. Sneaking in the alien 'l' caused too much confusion.

Today, my name unexpectedly levelled up.
One of the teachers walked up to me, and stuck a sticker of a blue mouse on my textbook.
"Do you know?", she asks me. The mouse looks vaguely familiar, uhm, yeah some cartoon or maybe.. "It is pocketmonster"
Oh yeah! Pokemon! It's a blue pokemon!
"This Pokemon is also called... Mariru. Same as you."
And damn, it sure is. Ladies and gentlemen.. Meet Mariru.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i could read your blog all day. i love it. hello to a mariru.

Cacophony said...

he he. i prefer marilu, but i suppose that having the same name as a pokemon kinda gives you special powers.

psychic earthling said...

ag sweet!

partieweirdo said...

Hey Malu, oh one of many names. If you had powers in a pokemon universe, what would they be?