Friday, October 06, 2006

Program 3 Lesson 1

I don't want to make this a blog about school. At all. You want stories about how absolutely ridiculous the teaching time in a JET's life is, surf the net. There's loads of personal sites there that range from the absolutely hysterical to the eye-gougingly drab. So, for the first and hopefully last time, I will share with you two moments from my day so far. It's not even lunchtime yet.

Scenario 1 - First, yes first team-teaching lesson with my elusive Japanese Teacher of English (JTE)
He's rambling on in Japanese, and I'm having a grand time daydreaming about.. whatever. It's harder to pin down daydreams that it is to remember night dreams. I hear my name. It's my que! I jump to service. Shall I pronounce something for you? Perhaps I can pass a pen to you?
Oh no.
He says: "Mariru sensei... please explain to students.. the difference in intonation and pronounce.. for different English speakers.. from these countries."

Immediately I think: "Huh?".

I look at the board, where there's three points scribbled in katakana. Crap. I take a moment to decypher the question.
The writing on the wall says:
1) I-gi-ri-su
2) A-me-ri-ka
3) Oo-su-to-ra-ri-a

He must have noted the blank expression on my face, for he elaborated on the question. He added on the blackboard the words: "How are you?"
Then he asked me to explain the different ways that speakers from the above countries pronounced the phrase "How are you?"

I stared at him in disbelief, the whole class waiting for my answer.

"Well.. " I replied. "It's all about the local way that words are used. For example, Australians would not say 'Good morning', but would say 'Gday mate!'"

I felt enveloped by stupidity.

But they went for it. He translated my stupid little speech (including how South Africans say "Howzit" instead of..) into Japanese for the class, and I was free to go.


Disclaimer
I sincerely apologise to all Australians for stereotyping in order to save my ass. But the kids won't remember anything. I have come to believe that all English knowledge is extraced from their minds during monthly brainwashing sessions.

No comments: