Wednesday, December 28, 2005

signs of the times

On the same day as remembering-the-tsunami-day, BHS was hit by a storm of note. The closest beach being 4 hours' drive away, no one had a tsunami in mind, though it is said that some of the boats on the dam still hasn't been found.

I wasn't here, I was visiting my family for Christmas (oh, apparently the word "Christmas" is being banned in SA, we're all so politically paranoid here), but upon my return, I saw the extent of the inland destruction. My one friend is now sans a house. She found her roof on the house next door, and her ceiling scattered over her floor. Merry Christmas, nĂȘ? Huge metal signboards were folded into origami frankensteins, and the Now Showing facade of the local cinema is now showing only wires. There are more branches on the sidewalk that there are on the trees. Very cool in a small-town post-apocalyptic sense.

Some locals believe that the prayers broadcasted by the mosque on the north-east side of town are curses in a different language. Last night, driving home, I saw the most amazing red and orange lightning play in clusters above the town. Maybe we have been cursed.

No comments: