Thursday, February 16, 2006

Still No Pictures

Life-altering things can happen in the span of a minute, or even a second. Think about getting struck by lightning, being abducted by aliens, falling from a tenth-story window, Spanish inquisition, getting impregnated, buying an airplane ticket, handing in a resignation, betting your life savings, taking the first drag of a cigarette, pulling the trigger, leaning over just too far, clicking the “Send” button or deciding to take the stairs instead of the elevator.

So if your whole destiny can be altered in a matter of minutes, imagine what can happen during a whole freakin’ day.

This morning I overslept for about half an hour, drowned by my pillow. I couldn’t even remember hearing the alarm go off. By the way, after being inconvenienced to breakpoint with a malfunctioning cell phone speaker, I finally bit the bullet and got myself a new phone. With colour screen and camera, and I suppose a thousand other useless functions. Even with it’s dazzling display, it still irritated the crap out of me, because you had to go through 7 menus before you’d be able to send an sms. Send message to.. search.. Name. Yes, okay. Next screen : Name again. Click okay. Next screen : His phone number. Yup, it’s fine, you can send now. Next screen : Name & phone number on one screen. Click. Next screen : Are you sure you want to send a message to this person? Yes I am, otherwise I wouldn’t have gotten this far hey? Next screen : About to send message to ---- , this is your final chance to back out.. Crisis man, if I ever send a message to the wrong person, I’ll have to brand something on my forehead. A seahorse, I think.

Last night I taught my first mock TEFL lesson – Intermediary level to a class of 5, plus scary-looking teacher lady, observing/judging us for the evening. Her face was either revoltingly ugly, or goddess-style beautiful – I couldn’t make up my mind. No, the fact that she had striking and unconventional features means that she is beautiful. Perfection through imperfection. After my lesson, she asked me how long I’d been teaching, to which I replied, laughing: “Oh, I’m a scientist”. It was my first lesson ever. But a very well received compliment – I felt like a cat with a saucer of cream.

As a side note I’d like to mention that I don’t think myself to be disillusioned. Concerning the teaching thing. Yes, the plan is to teach & travel, but I do not expect to have classes that answer me when I ask them questions; classes that actually give a shit about the English language, pupils with an interest in bettering themselves. I do hope that there are souls that feel the urge to grow, and if I can steer them, I’d love it. But I’m very much prepared to be spat on, kicked in the head, left in the rain, be ignored and grow bored. It’s all give & take.

My ladies in the development kitchen gave me a Zulu name today (my mother & youngest brother both received Sotho names later in life). My new name is “Naledi”, and it means star.

2 comments:

Cacophony said...

naledi - i like it. its kinda like your real name. not something you hear every day. i wonder what my name in zulu would be.

big up on the successful lesson. i could have told u so ages ago. i mean i hang on your lips, when you talk, and my english isn't all that shabby.

there will always be the people who find learning a burden, but for those who don't you'll open up a universe of knowledge and they will look back, kinda like we do to our favourite teachers, and think, "wow, you changed me"

ciao bella

sojourner incognito said...

You'd have to chill with some Zulu people first, so they can get to know you and name you. What about your hot-bodied wannabe farmer boy that works with you? All it is is a description in another language, which immediately sounds exotic because you don't know what it means..

A few days after your reply, I spoke to my kitchen ladies and told them about you. They wanted to name you the word for "cheetah" which I cannot remember now, but you're not a cheetah. You're more of a black panther, methinks.