Thursday, May 18, 2006

Future Rewards


The sheer goodness of my moodness lately is due to a combination of things. Part of it is the country-hopping expedition that is one day closer every day. I knew that I’d be going to Japan in July, but hearing the name of my future home-away-from-home just added to the reality of it all. In a little over two months (damn, still so far away) my new address will end with Niimi, Okayama prefecture, Japan. I’m as excited as a kid waiting for Christmas, and my current reality is suffering because my head is already on the island. No, my current reality is enhanced; it’s just my work that has regressed from being arbitrary to now being ridiculous. I do try to focus, I just forget to do so sometimes.

They say that you don’t realise how much something means to you until you lose it. So what happens when you know that you’re going to lose something in the near future? You appreciate it more than ever before, while you still have it. A future that involves leaving is a wonderful filter through which to perceive your world. I breathe in every morning and every night. I feel the stable earth of Africa under my feet, and sit hypnotised under the African skies. Autumn has transformed my town into a kaleidoscope of colours. Once again, I love this place. Every visit with my friends and family is a chance to absorb their presences while I still can. In my mind, I’m collecting images and moments. In my head, I’m saying goodbye to everything that means something to me. Every day is lived as if it’s the last – because the last day of this phase is just around the corner.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ek nie wag om vir jou volgende jaar te kom kuier nie!!!

sojourner incognito said...

mi casa su casa hey..

spellcheck, anyone?

Anonymous said...

Ek kan nie wag om vir jou volgende jaar te kom kuier nie!!! Better?

sojourner incognito said...

No man, ek't nie na jou verwys nie. Na myself. Ek's 'n bit rusty met met Spanish.. I think. Die sentence wat my aan Pulp Fiction laat dink..

walklightly said...

Hi,
My name is Roslynn and I too just got word of my placement in...Niimi-shi, Okayama-ken! I noticed your profile on the big daikon "placement uber-thread"...My bd account hasn't been activated yet so I can't PM you to say hello, but your blog is listed on your profile so I thought I'd leave a message for you here :).

I live in Seattle, U.S., and am getting ready to walk out the door on my current day job for the last time. Tomorrow I look for temp. work that will hopefully pay me more and I'm already looking forward to July while savoring each moment.

Beautiful blog entry on that today, btw.

roslynn (walklightly@gmail.com)

sojourner incognito said...

Future foreigners unite..

I'll remember your name. I'm sure that we'll be spotting each other soon enough. It's two months to go (well, a bit more), and already there are connections being formed.

A girl from Johannesburg phoned me to introduce herself - she's also been placed in Niimi. Plus, there's a pretty cool blog of a current Niimi JET, check it out at
infernalrustication.blogspot.com

She's got some lovely pictures and a beautifully descriptive style of writing that leaves mental pictures in your head.

Ta for the post. Seattle. Nice. I had an online crush on a dude from Seattle years and years ago. When I was more stupid than I am currently.

Good luck with the new job (I was seriously considering waitering for the last two months, but I'm kinda stuck, Geographically). I'm also anticipating the day I leave my current job. But I'm loving it while it lasts.

See you in Japan.

marilu

Raychaa said...

Hey up-- I'm a total stalker and was clicking on comments links off of Vicky's blog at work today (if this gives you an impression of how much "work" is involved on a daily basis), and saw that you're coming to Okayama. I live in a nowhere town about an hour and half from your nowhere city, and will be rolling into my 3rd year on JET. Inevitably, I have a weblog, too, though recently it's all been about my trips out of Japan on holiday. Japan is amazing(ly bizarre), the job is amazing(ly easy), Okayama is the prefecture that style forgot, and we like it that way. Congrats on the job!
--Rachel

Cacophony said...

okawhere? oh i'm so coming for a visit as soon as i can. how cool is it that you've already met new pple. welcome to the world of the expat. he he