Saturday, May 20, 2006

Lost Pixellation

Kid's colours. Bright red and turquoise are kid's colours.
It whispers to the brain to move into nostalgia mode. It begs for memories to be recalled.

Orange, on the other hand, is the colour of winter and tigers and citrus and institutionalised crazies, and monks, walking through mountains, holding umbrellas. It's a jacket zipped up to hide 'Easily Distracted'. Not many people wear orange. I'm very greatful for that.

On the subject of colour (a recurring theme), I wanted to comment on the spectacular clouds that were featured in the post below.

All four pics were taken while driving from my current home to my childhood home. It's a two hour drive (if traffic has not completely tapered out) on a long, farmstyle road that eventually curves past the airport. Before you actually hit traffic, you drive through this amazing landscape with a full, 360 degree view of the surroundings.

What I love about that road, is that you can look in four different directions, and see four different skies. 1 o' clock presented a grey sky with darkened smudges of rain, connecting the earth and the clouds. 4 -5 o' clock had a rain of a different kind: every shade of yellow, orange and gold pouring down from the sun, discolouring the clouds at such a sneaky tempo that every time I glanced, it was a completely different scene, each more breathtaking than the previous. My rear-view mirror displayed an innocent baby-blue sky with little white cartoon clouds. Looking over my left shoulder, I could see two rainbows drawn next to each other. A horison filled with colours.

The point is:
I was struggling to keep my eyes on the road. So many other things to look at. And I thought that I could not remember such amazing skies. Then I realised - Approximately a year ago, I was driving to my parents' place, on the very same road, struggling just as hard to keep my eyes on the road, when I was pulled over by cops. Speeding and swerving. I did get a fine, but talked it down, telling him the truth: My eyes were not on my speedometer, but on the clouds.

3 comments:

partieweirdo said...

Lovely. Give you htat warm and fuzzy feeling.

Cacophony said...

keep your eyes on the road, wear your seatbelt and slow down. eh he. you know i get off on giving you the speach. seriously though. kyk waar jy ry, nie ry waar jy kyk :)

sojourner incognito said...

I know I know.. At least you got me to wear a seatbelt (shot for that one), and not speed.. most of the time.

I'm still waiting for a 110km/h in a 60 zone. Shite.