Monday, January 23, 2006

Another Day, Another Quote

I get a new word in my inbox every day. It's the only newsletter I am subscribed to, and I love it. Must admit that I sometimes sip the word, and scroll straight down to the 'intellectual' quote for the day.

Let's see today's:

repartee (rep-uhr-TEE) noun
1. A quick, witty reply or conversation.
2. Cleverness in making witty conversation.

[From repartie (retort), from repartir (to retort), from re- + partir(to part or divide), from Latin partire (to divide), from pars (part).]

But the quote is what got to me.

Between men and women there is no friendship possible. There is passion,enmity, worship, love, but no friendship. -Oscar Wilde, writer (1854-1900)

Damn you, Oscar, you speak lies. How can there not be friendship? Why must there always be hidden intentions. I suppose gay friends are the loophole in this thought, and somewhere there's a memory that Oscar Wilde was a raging homosexual.. but I could be confusing him with Mozart or Gaugin. But I don't think so.

When I moved into a flat in my second year at uni, my mother told me that I'm not allowed to have a male flatmate. Thinking her prudish and conversative, this led to many an argument. Her reasoning was, if you put a male and a female together in a room for long enough, something sexual will result from it. She took Oscar's side in saying that with constant closeness, it is impossible for only friendship to exist between a man and a woman. I believed only my own stubbornness and went against her advice.

Turned out, she was right.

No comments: