Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Tuesday 10:06 am

Sitting on the office floor, methodically cutting open blue plastic bags with which we're planning to cover some files. Stationary department is all out of decifix. My colleagues are discussing the best ways to potty train kids, the merits and demerits of plastic sheeting under bedsheets, whilst I'm troubled by my body pH.

Normal urine pH = 6.0 - 7.0
Mine = 5.5

Normal saliva pH = 6.4 - 6.8
Mine = 5.5

The logical thing to do would be to look at my diet/lifestyle to find the source of all this excess acid.

The three things I've been consuming on a daily basis:
Mangoes: pH = 2.6 - 5.0
Grapefruit juice : pH = 3.0
Green Tea: pH = 7.0 (oh I love you, Camelia sinensis!)

According to Taoist principles, there are five basic flavours, connected with five elemental activities. These are:
Sweet (earth), Sour (wood), pungent (metal), salty (water) and bitter (fire).
Each of these flavours feeds a different organ as well, and bitter is linked to the heart.
In normal diets, the neglected taste is bitter, mainly because, well, it's bitter. When I realised that I'm the only person responsible for the happiness of my heart, I decided to pepper my diet with bitter foods. All those acquired tastes - olives, coffee (no sugar thanks), g-T, g & T, red wine, grapefruits, andsoforth.

As a sidenote, I've been thinking of naming my first-born daughter Mara, which means "bitter" (well, in the bible it does). I just wonder if I'll be cursing her with a name that reminds of scrunched-up faces and difficulty in swallowing.

No comments: