Monday, January 16, 2006

Which Side Are You On?

Being the product of a male chemical engineer and a female art teacher, I've found myself torn between left brain and right brain my whole life. Do I create, or do I maintain? Do I go for sciences, or arts? Do I dream, or do I do? It was because of this see-saw of thinking that I ended up in New Product Developement, which promised to require functional creativity. On paper, that's what it is. In reality, I'm so bored that I blog to pass time.

So last night I was having my weekend conversation with my mother over the phone. It's the start of a new academic year, and she has a new class of confused 14-year olds who believe they cannot draw, but she'll prove them wrong in 4-6 weeks. So she tells me, as she's explaining the left-brain/right-brain concept to them, she realised that this has been the way she raised her kids (biological). When we steered too much to right-brain activity, she pulled out some logic; when we were over-analysing, she handed us crayons.

A beautiful balance, but it's so much easier to be inclined towards the one side. The problem with infinite options, is that you get lost in them.

So, har-har, we talk and laugh about brains lobes and the like, when she comments: "You know, sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have just dropped you at day care like the other mothers. I really over-stimulated your brain at such a young age. Maybe, if I did, you wouldn't have grown up to be so screwed up."

I'm sure she meant that in the nicest way possible.

No comments: