Monday, January 30, 2006

Here's Lookin' at You, Kid


I have a tendency of falling in love with Buddhist boys - even if it's only for the briefest time.

Two bowls of muesli and three easter eggs later (hey, is it easter already?) I'm finally waking up. Looked at myself in the mirror this morning and the first thing I thought was "hmm, Buddha". All the Bodhisattvas and Buddhas have slits for eyes. Enlightment seems to remind of intoxication. After very little sleep, very little food and the death of brain cell community, only ephemeral enlightenment is on my menu.

I almost fell asleep on my way to work. Good thing I wasn't driving. My sleepy absent-mindedness earned me my millionth nickname at work, today everyone is calling me "Tuesday" because I kept saying Tuesday when I meant Saturday in conversation. What's in a name, nĂȘ? After this weekend, it's all the same to me.

I'd like to thank Anne for inviting me to the temple for the weekend, it really was grand. I learnt so much. Ever wanted to know more about the Dogs of Fu, the symbolism behind phoenixes or fish, dragons and pseudo swastikas? Chanting ohm mani peme hung, offering peanut butter sandwiches to the triple gem, the five precepts, the six perfections.. Amitabha Buddha, Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, Sakyamuni Buddha, art as a meditation, lotus flowers, Dharma protectors. I learnt so much. Thanks, Nan Hua. Oh, another thing I learnt was that "Nan Hua" means Southern Flower. In the middle of Afrique du Sud.

No comments: