Tuesday, January 17, 2006

It's almost the beginning of a new year.. In Chinese terms, that is. We are soon saying hamba kathle to the year of the Rooster (mine, by the way), and sawubona to the Year of the Dog.

This 'ere temple in the picture is just around my corner; even closer that Checkers. Last year, I went to one of their weekend retreats which was exhausting and cleansing at the same time. I'd love to do it again, we'll see. After the weekend, I was feeling so enlightened and stuff that I added my name to the volunteer list.

With the up-and-coming Chinese New Year celebration (29 Jan), the temple lady phoned me and asked whether I'd be willing to help out. But of course! I said. She filled in details by saying that I'd have to be available to answer questions people might have, so I'll need to go for a little briefing session. This is grand, because I'll get to hear the symbolism behind all the buddhas and lions with the bells in their mouths. Then she invited me for a lunch on the Saturday, oh and why don't you sleep over at the temple as well? Retreat from the real world for a day or two. So I'm gonna do it.

Today I asked W to join me. He'll be leaving for London soon, and I won't be seeing him for ages to come, plus his head is shaved, so he'll fit right in. Dunno what I'll be doing with myself if I had to walk around on my own the whole time. It's not like people are there to make small talk. And no girls. I'll probably end up staring the pretty buddhist boy out of his robes, and feeling a hell of a guilty for even thinking it.

1 comment:

Cacophony said...

it my year at last! the canine, the dog, the wolf! this year is going to be great, i hope. i'll make sure that i'm freshly shaven. w