Wednesday, January 18, 2006

More Domestic Ramble

As I'm withdrawing money, I get a double surprise: Firstly I find out I have more money in my account than I thought I had, then I look up into D - a local connection-'s (punctuation effective?) face. We roll our trolleys into the PnP together, and I realise that this is the first time since I moved here that I'm shopping -with- someone. Running in with someone to get cigs or wine doesn't count. Leisurely strolleying down the aisles while chatting. D has nothing of significance to say. He doesn't talk much. Actually he does talk; he keeps mumbling while in front of me, and when I ask him "eh?", he just replies: "No. Nothing." So I never get to hear what he says between the brumbles. I suspect I'm not missing out on much though,
 
Again I'm aware of the glaring differences - the me vs. them complex. I'm getting really good at this spot-the-difference game. To my trolley I add Litchis from Tzaneen, Mangoes from Hoedspruit, Red wine from Stellenbosch and grapefruit juice from Parmalat. His trolley gets fatty red meat and a 2 litre bottle of Coca Cola. For dessert I get a packet of wine gums, while he gets a bag of chips. Maybe my lifestyle is not as bad as I sometimes fear it to be.

No comments: