Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Orthodox Indoctrination


I buy a Sunday Times every Sunday, and read it throughout the week, not missing an article. Like slow-release tablets, it nourishes me for much longer than the name suggests.

Yesterday I came across an article that had me laughing in disbelief. There's a lot in the daily news that tests my comprehension, but because this article touched the mentality of the community I was raised in, it meant so much more.
Some highlights:

Women have been shut out of most leadership poitions in one of the country's most orthodox afrikaans churches.This decision comes after nearly two weeks of men-only debate by almost 300 church members at a synod in Potchefstroom in the North-West.......
In a report, church minister danie Snyman said that. based on the Bible, the man was the head of the household."A woman may not be in an authorative, instructive or ruling position over a man. A woman's right to speak is limited," he said.....
Snyman, the minister at Magalieskruin in Pretoria, said while he could stomach woman deacons, he would probably leave the church if it accepted women minsters."The way i understand the Bible, it's a sin for a woman to be a minister," he said....
Sitting quietly at the back of the synod meeting this week, was Ronel Pieterse - who preaches at a Dutch reformed Church congregation.As the men handed out yellow A4 voting sheets to other men, she wasn't given any.

I guess segregation and manipulation are still very much alive, even though I'd love it not to be.

No comments: